Monday, January 25, 2010

For my roots

For about three weeks now, I've been hanging out all over the Northern Clay Center throwing pots, trimming feet, pulling handles, and generally potting around. I've been way more prolific than I really expected to be, and this is exciting but also slightly daunting when I think about what glazing them will be like, and then about what I will do with them once I get them home.

But for now, they're all still just greenware! YAY!!!!

Actually, some of them have started to come back bisqued.. whatever, I am ignoring them for the time being.

More will be coming, but here are a few highlights of pottery so far:

On the first night of class, I threw just a few things, but it felt so good to be back on the wheel!


The next week, I trimmed on feet and added mug-handles. These are my two batter bowls, and a little mug.

Big mug!

I've always wanted to throw those lovely round pots with tiny long bottle necks. My first attempt of the year ended in a flopped-over neck that didn't look quite like I intended (this is the pot on the left). But when I added the two handles, I was really happy with it. The back handle is like a bird's wing, and the front handle is a ram's horn.

Adding a spout! This bowl was a little too dry to really be doing this, but I risked it. Maybe it will fall off in the kiln.

Pots with holes. The sphereish one is going to house a candle, and its base is right next to it in the picture. The baby vase in back grew a hole when I fluted it, so I just started carving holes in the other flutes and all was well!


love, Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment