Thursday, January 21, 2010

A slightly random project

A couple of weeks ago now, I made for dinner some egg-drop soup. I'd always loved eating egg-drop soup, and it seemed such a very bizarre thing to me that I really wanted to know how to make it myself.

So I googled a recipe, and on the night when Momo made fried rice and cashew chicken, I set to work on my egg-drop soup!

It was actually really simple. I substituted vegetable broth for chicken broth, and I heated it up, adding ginger, salt, and chives, and while it was working its way to a boil, I beat the egg mixture and got ready to drop it.

Dropping the egg was definitely the best part. The broth was boiling, and I kind of scooped bits of egg into it using a fork. The fork lay the egg down in long strings that instantly cooked when they hit the broth. They just sort of crystallized from translucent invisibility to being opaquely white!

I encountered a problem in that, by the time I'd added about half my egg, the egg I'd already added was staying near the surface of the broth and was clinging on to the new egg I added. This made for some clumping, which was sad, but the chunks broke apart pretty easily when I stirred.

The soup was a little bit salty, but really very good. : ) Next time I will decrease the salt and work to somehow stop the eggs from sticking to each other. Maybe if I have more of a constant stir going, that will keep the dropped egg fibers sliding right on past one another.

love, Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment